Let’s talk about alcohol.
If you know me, you know I’m not really much of a drinker. It’s not that I didn’t drink at all, I mean I’m no wuss, I can chug a beer when I have to.. maybe even two, but cocktails yuck! What tends to happen is I’ll have a couple of sips and conveniently forget about it only to find something way tastier to snack on instead. Unless of course, said alcohol was cooked in my food. In that case give me some beer, wine, whiskey you name it, I’ll make you something with the most gorgeous depth of flavor you’ll be dreaming about it. To reiterate everything cooked with alcohol is awesome, but I’m sure you already knew that. If you haven’t you’re welcome!
Then why exactly is this post about a cocktail you may ask?! Well, things happen, part of those things being that D’s (my bf) parents moved a couple months back and they graciously gave us half of their liquor cabinet before leaving. That and the fact that our room-mate enjoys the occasional drink, I felt compelled to use up the three bottles of triple sec calling my name from the china turned liquor cabinet and make something actually tasty! I also knew this was an actual possibility since around thanksgiving time I tried out the most amazing game changer of a cocktail, Cranberry Ginger Margaritas. They seriously blew my mind, In it everything is made fresh. from the cranberry juice (really like nectar) to the vanilla ginger syrup, It was fabulous and It’s what brought me to the conclusion that YES! cocktails actually can be tasty when made with fresh ingredients. Which brings me to this tasty Grapefruit Margaritas.
Vanilla Grapefruit Margaritas: serves 1 (use 2 grapefruits for 4 servings)
- 5 oz. Grapefruit juice - freshly squeezed
- 2 1/2 oz. Vanilla syrup - recipe below
- 1 oz. triple sec / grand marnier
- 2 1/2 oz, Silver tequila
- bunch of mint - cleaned and lightly chopped
- Vanilla salt - recipe below
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean / 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Vanilla Salt Rim:
- 2 Tbs. Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla powder
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
Vanilla Syrup Method:
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Set aside (strain if needed) and cool.
Vanilla Salt Rim Method:
- Combine the salts and powder together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the vanilla extract on, making sure to distribute evenly in order to avoid clumping. Stir and set aside.
Vanilla Grapefruit Margaritas Method:
- Combine all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with Ice.
- Shake for about 15 - 30 seconds.
- Rub each glasses rim with grapefruit juice, then dip rim in vanilla salt.
- Fill each glass with 3 ice cubes and pour into glass through a strainer. Top with a sprig of mint.
Pomelo Margaritas are a great variation I made the week before. Just substitute 4 oz. Pomelo juice and 1 oz. lemon/lime juice to replace the grapefruit juice.